FLEURE DE LYS
FLEURE DE LYS PEBBLE MOSAIC
St Mary's Monastery, Kinnoul, Perth
Commissioned by St Mary's Monastery with funding from Historic Scotland
The Fleure de Lys pebble mosaic for St Mary's Monastery at Kinnoul in Perth was commissioned by John Sanders of Simpson and Brown Architects. Positioned at the entrance to the main chapel at the monastery, the pebble mosaic depicts a Fleure de Lys, a symbol associated with St Mary Magdalene and found throughout the monastery in existing metalwork, stone and wood carvings.
St Mary's was built in 1760 from local sand-stone topped with Ballachulish slate roofs. The pebble mosaic is built in the very same materials, with a carved sand-stone Fleure de Lys on a background of Ballachulish slate. The pebble mosaic was built in-situ and bedded and pointed with lime in the traditional manner.
". . .The Fleur de Lys pebble mosaic was the most successful of the new additions we made to the monastery in 2008 with the funds we were awarded by Historic Scotland. While transforming the East entrance to the chapel, it looks as though it could have always been there- its materials are completely sympathetic".
St. Mary's Monastery